NOTE:

Dear visitor (if there is any) please note the following: The blog "Broken Radius" is hosted at Google Blogger's server. I can therefore not guarantee that your visit to the blog or any comment you write wont be recorded by the NSA. If you have any worries about this, you can visit instead my alternative blog Letters-to-a-Persian-Cat. This one is hosted at a European server which hopefully acknowledges visitors privacy.

30.8.10

Non, je ne regrette rien

Ghazal my Dear,

Do you think my french is o.k. for a week ? "Au Revoir", please tell me what it means. Is it like the german "Auf Wiedersehen" or like the english "Farewell" ? You probably know, cause you are the expert !

And of course I also like "Je ne regrette rien".

I doubt that the Cote de Azur will be as nice as the Isar-River banks with you in the Moon-Light.

TAKE CARE, my Dear

Michael
................................................................................................
hi michael,

yes, au revoir means Auf wiedersehen. hope you will have a great time there. and that the weather is good. good that you were able to save everything from your computer. even though 99% of it is useless. but it is good to save them maybe?

you still write on the blog? or just putting the emails there?

i want to continue with my thesis now. hope i will get something done.

yes i sometimes wonder, where my scientific carrier will lead.. how far will i get. and if i will continue as a scientist all my life..i hope so..but who knows.

take care

/ghazal
...............................................................................................

Ghazal my Dear,

we made a stop in Italy in a small town called San Giovanni.
Very tired. Hope you are o.k. and had a good day.

Have a quiet night and sleep well.

TAKE CARE
Michael
...............................................................................................

Hello Ghazal,

Hope you are doing well, hope everything is fine at work. I guess you are quite busy doing and analyzing the new sequences together with C.
I put two short chapters on Iodine and childhood thyroid cancer on your desk (Friday night,before I left). They are from the 2005 BEIR report (this is the commission on "Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiation" of the US National Research Council). Therefore, this is very condensed but high quality information. I am currently writing something for you about the synteny analysis of mouse and human genome (what I showed you last week, how the mouse loci correspond to the human ones for the FNMTC susceptibility).

Ghazal,my Dear, stay strong, send me something if you think I can help or contribute.

Michael
................................................................................................

Hi michael,

yes i miss my home, and famliy so so so much. cant believe i have been away for so long. yes when we do something fun then i forget about that for a while. but its not much left. i will be home soon.

its is sooo empty here. i havent seen c. and o. is sick so she is not here. so i could not get any RNA. i have started with the sequencing of the last gene (prop1). the other gene (gpx3) is already done, but we forgot to take it to the GAC. So I will hopefully take them both to GAC with claudia when she arrives this week.
The genotyping for the new-DNA is on the gel-electrophoresis. so if I get good pictures of it I should be done with the genotyping.
only remains the quantitative analysis (which I will wait to do next week when you are back right?)
and the qualitative which you already gave me the protocol for. But there is a question, why do I use the Balb/c and CBA embryo cDNA? shouldnt i use cDNA from the thyroid of JF1 and FVB?

then the writing. i have been writing. the part of genetic mapping, chi2-test and QTL, selection of the markers and the sensitivity of the mice that you wrote for me, should I change that? Or i can leave it as it is and find good references for them?

sorry for all the questions. but need to know..

soooo bad that its not nice there. i thought it is nice over there, near canne. well, its an experience as well. so try to have fun! so you cant reach the sea at all? no beach?

take care
/Ghazal
................................................................................................

hi michael,

he came at last, T. he wanted a print out of my thesis. but i said that its messy right now and so. so he just sat by the computer and we went through it. i think he liked it. but he told me to write about hyperthyroidism, and not only about cancer. he said a bit about marshall islands. that they really could not see any higher thyroid cancer among children because of the lack of time, that they were not allowed to continue. but they saw that children had higher risk. and there was a lot of radioiodine there.
anyway.. he asked about my project in sweden.. he did not seem interested. he said this project is better for me. genetics is better. but i want to go back and have good project. dont know why UV is not interesting.

well. have a good time.

and take care
/Ghazal
................................................................................................


Ghazal my Dear,

Thanks a lot for writing, it is good for me to read that you are doing well. It makes me the time away from Munich a little bit easier.
I attache a little bit text and a figure to explaine the concept of synteny analysis (relation between the mouse loci you found by QTL mapping and possible human loci that have to do with thyroid disease susceptibility).

Here the answers to your questions:
1: The qualitative analysis of the candidate gene trasncripts: ".....why do I use the Balb/c and CBA embryo cDNA? shouldnt i use cDNA from the thyroid of JF1 and FVB?"
Yes, of course, at the end you have to do the experiment on the FVB and JF1 thyroid cDNA. The embryo BALB and CBA was just to establish the assay (to check, of the two cDNA primers with the PCR conditions give the expected specific PCR product.

2: "....then the writing. i have been writing. the part of genetic mapping, chi2-test and QTL, selection of the markers and the sensitivity of the mice that you wrote for me, should I change that? Or i can leave it as it is and find good references for them? "
I would not take the text modules from me without any modifications. They should just give you an idea what should be the content and how much is neccessary. But I advice you to express it with your own words. It is much better for you also to learn and fully understand the stuff for the waiver in October.

Is it right that there is frost in germany ? Somebody from the hotel told me it is snowing. Unbelieveable, isn"t it. This makes me even more happy that always when we went out together in Munich, it was always nice and sunny (if the sun wasn"t shining, than the stars were out or the moon). I hope the september will be like this.

Ghazal, my Dear, I"ll write something in the evening, first wanted to send you the stuff for the thesis in case you are still at work.

TAKE CARE

Michael

................................................................................................


Hi Ghazal my Dear,

No, it is probably not right to say that it"s not nice hear. I"m just not in the mood at the moment to enjoy the Cote d"Azur.
The thing is, that how much one likes a city or a place depends so much on its personal situation. If one feels o.k. and happy,
than even the smallest hotel in the a dirty village might seem like heaven. And in contrast, if one does not feel comfortable, than even paradise island can be a nightmare.
In fact, I only came here to ensure my family some happy holidays, because my wife wished for a long time to visit her relatives and my son needs some relaxing days before school starts again.
For myself, however, it is not really relaxing. But as I said, it has mainly to do with me not wishing to leave munich right now, than with the place here.
The few details here that I criticised (the beach that can be reached only by passing a railway-line and a motorway or the heavy traffic around the hotel) are perhaps realy minor things. I usually would not notice them at all.
But in fact, I am comparing everything with the marvellous time you and me spend together sitting on the Isar river-side. This was for me like heaven on earth, like many other days I had the pleasure to discover with you some places in and around munich.
I recall these moments as if my eyes opened into a completely new world, or as if the world that I have known before was shining in a different light, maybe in a different wavelength as before, or just clearer and with more details.
I think I probably would have not noticed a single meteor this year if you would not have come to munich, because I usually forget the date in August. This year was completely different, I was waiting for the 12th of august impatiently, because I knew that perhaps it wont happen again (and perhaps has never happened to anybody before me) that you are waiting to spot "falling stars" in the company of an angel that has also fallen down from heaven to earth (just a couple of month earlier).

Ghazal, it might be that you laugh on me (and perhaps others who hear about this would also be very confused or amused), but I never thought before that at the end of the 4th decade of life I can be completely shaken up emotionally by a MSc student, who is in fact shy and calm and keeps a lot of mysteries hidden.

I hope I have not confused you too much, but as Edith Piaf has expressed it "Non, je ne regrette rien". But there is also the danger, that one never in life tries something risky and new and potentially revolutionary, if one always says "not doing anything I might later regrett". I am absolutely confident that I did right and will always do right trying to seduce you and to be more than just the supervisor. It could have been also very painful for me, you might have complaint at Prof. T. or at the personal department or at UCL about me, but I would not care about this. For me everthing was allright as it was and as it is, it was marvellous and it makes me happy.

Ghazal, my Dear, I hope you are relaxed these days, you sleep quiet and have nice dreams.
I miss you.

Take Care

Michael

................................................................................................

hi michael!!!

how are you?? try to enjooooy, i didnt want to make you feel like this. that you dont enjoy france and just want to come back to munich. what are you up to over there?
i would not complain to T. or anyone. i am enjoying my time here. and you have showed me alot of munich and helped me so much and made time and my project more fun.

im not happy right now! nothing seems to work in the lab:( this whole week i have tried and tried to do pcrs for different things. its just strange results. so i feel bad about it.. but will try again tomorrow.

i am going to london tomorrow night. when i come back my fathers wife will come and stay with me for a couple of days.

take care michael

................................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment