NOTE:

Dear visitor (if there is any) please note the following: The blog "Broken Radius" is hosted at Google Blogger's server. I can therefore not guarantee that your visit to the blog or any comment you write wont be recorded by the NSA. If you have any worries about this, you can visit instead my alternative blog Letters-to-a-Persian-Cat. This one is hosted at a European server which hopefully acknowledges visitors privacy.

19.3.14

Books of the week: Crimea change sides

In 2010 I had the pleasure to visit Crimea, on the occasion of a genetics conference in Alushta. What a magical landscape, I thought, and I met Russians there and some Ukrainians and many Tartars. The Tartars invited me to a after-wedding brunch in their own restaurant at the beach, when the shops and cafes run by Russians or Ukrainians were clossed at this out-of-season time of late October. Later I visited Bakhchisaray, the old palace of the Crimean Khans. Aside of the muslim study rooms and the paradise and rose gardens and the turkish bath, Alexander Pushkin was commemorated there where a dripping spring inspired him for his poem "The Fountain of Bakchisaray".
Who could have imagine, that now, just three years later, another kind of books might become useful again to understand what is going on there at this beautiful peninsula, that was once the melting pot of Russian, Greek, Jewish, Tartar and other people. 


2 comments:

  1. I see that you found my "Doktor Schiwago": http://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/leaving-books-in-public-places/ :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andreas, this would be absolutely possible. I don't know much about the provenance of this copy of Doktor Shivago. I "rescued" it from the left-over of a Munich garage sale, where the owners were almost to discard it into the recycle waste bin. Maybe they once picked it up from the place where you left it. Do you know if it ever had a dust cover ?
    Regards, Michael

    ReplyDelete